• SUPER QUICK site specific estimates!!


Footprint Homes have a dedicated team that can assist you with all the required Consents, including both Resource & Building Consents.

council consent-1



We are here to help!


Hire an expert


Often applying to the council for a building or resource consent can be a nightmare, and the paperwork overwhelming.


Our consultants, being familiar with the council planning requirements / development standards, can quickly identify / assess the development potential of your property, saving you time and money.




PRICING - Contact us for pricing

If you would like to engage one of our consultants to either find out which of our Cabins or Tinyhome/s can best fit on your land or to start your Footprint Homes building consent process then contact us for pricing:

  • Planning Assessment and site plan. This report will let you know what you can or cannot do on your land
    This excludes Disbursements, such as Certificate of Titles, Easement Notices & Council Property Records / Files.

  • Building Consent application/documentation.
    These fees are based on our Multiproof Designs (excludes Council Fees)

  • Resource Consent Application/Documentation
  • When our consultant has completed the planning assessment he will advise if resource consent is required.
  • Costs are dependent on the documentation required by the council. An estimate/quote will be provided (this does not include any council fees).


How Multiproof works


Multiproof is a statement by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) that a set of plans and specifications for a building complies with the Building Code.


Multiproof speeds up the consenting process. It does not give the right to carry out building work that requires a building consent. You still need to apply for consent each time you want to build.


Multiproof establishes that our designs complies with NZ Building Code.

When your building consent application includes a Multiproof the BCA must grant or refuse it within 10 working days instead of the usual 20.

The Building Consent Authority (BCA) confirms and establishes:

  • the design, with any permitted variations, is the same as the design approved in the MultiProof
  • the proposed site meets the conditions of the Multiproof
  • the site specific features of the design comply with the Building Code
  • the inspections required.

Building Consent

The process



The following list is a summary of building work that will need a consent, however you should always check with your local council to confirm.

  • structural building - including additions, alterations, re-piling and some demolitions
  • plumbing and drainage - where an additional sanitary fixture is created (some repair and maintenance may be exempt)
  • relocating a building
  • installing a woodburner or air-conditioning system
  • retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres (3.0 metres in rural area if designed by a chartered professional engineer)
  • fences or walls higher than 2.5 metres, and all swimming pools and their associated fences
  • decks, platforms or bridges more than 1.5 metres above ground level
  • sheds greater than 30 square metres in floor area (sheds between 10 and 30 square metres will still need the help of an LBP or engineer or must use lightweight material in accordance with Acceptable Solution (B1/AS1)
  • Some earthworks



You may need to apply for resource consent, depending on the requirements of the district or regional plan.

Resource consent is formal approval from your council to do something that they haven't clearly identified in their plan as either permitted or prohibited. This includes things like:

  • using or subdividing land
  • taking water
  • discharging contaminants in water, soil, or air
  • using or occupying coastal space.

Under the Resource Management Act, regional and city or district councils prepare plans to reflect the desires and aspirations of the local community in relation to natural or physical resources and activities that affect the environment.

Every plan is different because it relates to a different geographical location and:

  • regional councils prepare regional plans that focus on the management of air, water, land, and soil
  • city and district councils prepare district plans that focus on managing aspects of subdivision and land use that can affect the environment, such as:
    - height, appearance, and location of buildings and signs
    - noise, glare, and odour associated with the activities that take place in and around buildings.


Just as council plans vary, the need for resource consent varies from one area to another.

If you don't need resource consent but want confirmation, a council can issue a certificate of compliance for permitted activities. This confirms that the activity is lawfully established in relation to the Resource Management Act. However, you may still need building consent or need to meet our district requirements.

0800 000 222

Phone or email us, we have experts that can assist